This Data Protection Statement provides information about the ways in which Kenversity Sacco Ltd collects, stores and uses personal data relating to individuals (data subjects). This Data Protection Statement relates to personal data received by the Sacco where data subjects use the products and services of the Sacco, contact, request or provides information for purposes relating to core function of the Sacco directly, and also personal data received by the Sacco indirectly, and as set out below.
WHO WE ARE
Kenversity Sacco Ltd was registered as a Savings and Credit Co-operative Society in 1976 by members of staff from Kenyatta University with an aim of promoting the quality of life of its members through provision of quality financial products and services. We are regulated and licensed by SASRA to carry out Deposit Taking Business. As at December 2021, the membership stood at 7,469 members and total assets under management KShs3.258 Billion. The Sacco has an open common bond.
Our vision is to be an inclusive, dynamic and profitable world class Sacco, with a mission to mobilize savings, provide friendly, innovative and affordable credit facilities and other financial services to our customers.
Kenversity Sacco is the controller of the personal data it processes. You can contact the Sacco through any of the following channels:
1. Postal Address: P.O. Box 10263-00100 Nairobi, Kenya
2. Telephone: 0715114454 /0736710906 /020-8002371/2
3. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA BY THE SACCO
Kenversity Sacco processes personal data for a number of different purposes, which arise from functions designated for savings and credit co-operative societies under the Co-operatives Act and Rules, its objects stated in the by-laws, and all other things that are incidental or consequential to the economic enhancement of its members’ interests provided it’s approved by the members in a general meeting. The purposes for which we currently process data include the following:
1. To process products and services you have sourced from us and/or third parties including but not limited to carrying out credit checks, credit scoring and debt recovery.
2. To notify you about changes to our service including notification of breaches.
3. To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
4. To provide member support including response to queries and concerns.
5. To gather business intelligence analytics or valuable information so that we can improve our service.
6. To monitor the usage of our service including detecting fraud and other crimes.
7. To detect, prevent and address technical issues.
8. To verify your identity information through publicly available and/or restricted government databases in order to comply with applicable regulatory requirements.
9. To provide aggregated data to third parties for research and scientific purposes.
10. To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer unless you have opted not to receive such information.
11. For research, statistical, survey and other scientific or business purposes and metrics. These include meeting attendance and other stakeholder forums organized by the Sacco.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DOES THE SACCO PROCESS?
As set out above, the Sacco processes personal data. This includes, personal data received by the Sacco from the data subjects or indirectly. The personal data that we process includes;
1. Basic personal information upon registration, such as a data subject’s name / surname; date of birth; the company or organization a data subject works for; photograph; address; phone number; identity document type and number; age; gender
2. Contact information, such as a data subject’s postal address, email address and phone number(s); location
3. Any other personal data that is provided to the Sacco during the course of the performance of its functions including debit-card information; information about your bank account numbers and SWIFT codes or other banking information; transaction information; family details; profiling information such as level of education; income brackets.
4. We use Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) surveillance recordings. CCTV Devices are installed at strategic locations to provide a safe and secure environment in all Sacco premises as a part of our commitment to community safety, security and crime prevention. We maintain a register of visitors in which we collect and keep your personal data such as names, company/institution details, telephone number, vehicle registration details and National ID number. This information is collected for health, safety and security purposes.
The Sacco also processes special category data. This includes, as set out above, special category data received by the Sacco from data subjects directly or indirectly. Such sensitive data may include a natural person’s race, health status, ethnic social origin, conscience, belief, property details, marital status, family details including names of the person’s children, parents, spouse or spouses. This is done with consent from you by subscribing to one or more of the products and services offered by us as well as protect the legitimate interest of the Sacco.
WHO ARE THE RECIPIENTS OF PERSONAL DATA PROCESSED BY THE SACCO?
Disclosure to third parties
Personal data collected by the Sacco is held confidentially and is not shared with any third parties. The Sacco in exercising this shall assess and review each application for sharing information and may decline to grant such information to the requesting party, with the following exceptions:
1. Law-enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities, courts or other statutory authorities in response to a demand issued with the appropriate lawful mandate and where the form and scope of the demand is compliant with the law.
2. Our subsidiaries, associates, partners, software developers or agents who are involved in delivering Sacco products and services you use;
3. Fraud prevention and anti-money laundering agencies, credit-reference agencies;
4. Publicly available and/or restricted government databases to verify your identity information in order to comply with regulatory requirements;
5. Debt-collection agencies or other debt-recovery organizations;
6. Any other person that we deem legitimately necessary to share the data with.
7. Your information may be available to any third party involved in the operation of the national payments system and mobile money service.
We shall not release any information to any individual or entity that is acting beyond its legal mandate. We will get your express consent before we share your personal data with any third party for direct marketing purposes.
HOW LONG DOES THE SACCO RETAIN PERSONAL DATA?
The retention periods for personal data held by the Sacco are based on the requirements of the data protection legislation and on the purpose for which the personal data is collected and processed. In certain circumstances, based on legal and regulatory requirements to retain information for a specified period and on the relevant limitation periods for taking legal action.
YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
Under data protection law, data subjects have certain rights. The data subject rights are:
1. The right to be informed about the processing of your personal data;
2. The right to access your personal data;
3. The right to rectification of your personal data;
4. The right to erasure of your personal data;
5. The right to data portability;
6. The right to object to processing of your personal data; and
7. The right to restrict processing of your personal data.
YOUR RIGHT TO COMPLAIN
If you have any concerns in relation to the manner in which we process your personal data, you can contact us on email@example.com.
CHANGES TO OUR DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT
This Data Protection Statement is kept under regular review and is therefore subject to change.
If you have any comments or queries in relation to this Data Protection Statement, please forward same to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alfred C. Korir
Chief Executive Officer
Kenversity Sacco Society Limited